What is Boudoir Photography?
Some believe that the term is derived from the French term “bouder” which means to “sulk.” It more likely comes from the English the word “bower” (shade or enclose of a place or person); in which historically, the boudoir formed part of the private suite of rooms of a “lady” or upper-class woman, for bathing and dressing, adjacent to her bedchamber, being the female equivalent of the male cabinet. In photography, Boudoir is used more of a term for an approach to intimate portraiture that involves a multi-step process heavily involving customer service, psychology, photography, editing, and an overall willingness to make people do what they never thought they could. Boudoir is more than a style of lighting or specific wardrobe in portrait work. And with that said, Boudoir is different for everyone!
Why do people get Boudoir Photos?
More often than not, Boudoir Photos are taken during a passage in life, where a reemergence occurs. This personal form of documentation is often shared with a partner as a means of giving of ones self. Brides now more than ever, are taking photos before their wedding. You see this style also used in Maternity & Newborn photography as well. Whatever your reason, it’s important to share it with your photographer as that will become central to how we approach your shoot & editing.
Our goal as Boudoir Photographers
Is to produce works of art that are not only tasteful to you, but to others as well. Sure we can make a steamy book that goes on a bookshelf, but we’d also like to capture one that is so tasteful, you’d want to hang it on the wall. Just because the word is “Boudoir,” it doesn’t mean it needs to be obscene.
Great ideas for Boudoir Photo Shoots
Personally, we love Boudoir Photos that tell a story and that means we need a theme.
- Love Cooking? Your photographer will join you for meal preparation capturing an array of sizzling photos. Husband is in love with your baking? Morning coffee is your thing? There are so many options we can build a theme around.
- Into Cars? We can plan to capture the care, maintenance, and exhilaration you feel when driving your favorite vehicle.
- Getting Married? Often your wedding photographer will take these phots for you but, we understand if you’d prefer someone else.
- Just want a touch of spice – It doesn’t matter if your a guy, girl, or what age your are, it’s fun to add a touch of spice! Find a common ground with the intended recipient of these photos – what do you do, that they might find sexy? We’ll create a photo shoot around whatever that might be!
Things to keep in mind
- Kids & Partners – May or may not be an important part of your photo shoot. My suggestion is to keep distractions to a minimum.
- Jealousy – It is our goal to keep you and ourselves safe. If the recipient of these photos has jealousy issues it is advisable to forego the photo shoot.
- Nudity – It’s possible to create great Boudoir photo sets without the use of Nudity. However much you choose, or choose not to bare, is entirely up to you.
- Wardrobe – Think about what you want the final image to look like and we’ll discuss colors and textures as we plan your shoot.
- Research – Do you know what kind of photo you want?
- One of our favorite ways to get inspiration is to perform a Google or Instagram Search to find similar photos or a style that we like – and use them as inspiration when planning your shoot. Attempts to replicate is not advisable.
- Let’s talk, we’ll plan it all out and then meet for the shoot!